“hello” Learning Commons!
You might ask … What is a Learning Commons? Are the books going away?
A Learning Commons is simply a collaborative physical and virtual environment that invites and ignites participatory learning and active discovery. Yes, our books - both print and digital - will remain a large part of the program.
The Learning Commons transition includes, but it not limited to:
- Ownership of the books is replaced by “Access To” our resources
- Single teaching spaces are replaced by multiple and flexible learning spaces
- Quiet is replaced by varying noise and activity levels
- Outdated presentation artifacts are replaced by a plethora of high- and low-tech production tools
By making deliberate, planned space conversions, both physical and virtual, we hope to encourage:
- Collaborating, participating, helping
- Authentic and engaging inquiry and knowledge building
- Playing, creating, tinkering, building, making
- Demonstrating respect in both physical and digital space
- Experimenting, sharing, performing
- Producing, doing, constructing
- Connecting, accessing, self-monitoring
Our transition will not happen overnight. There will be many starts, stops and missteps along the way. We’ll learn as we grow and grow through learning.
We hope you will support this journey!
You can learn more here: